Thursday, September 26, 2013

Spending Time in the Word

Spending time in the Word

When I started this blog I said I was seeking a more God focused lifestyle and I have not posted anything on spending time with the Lord.  Sometimes we loose focus on the things we are supposed to be focused on like praying and studying and spending time in communication with the One who created us!

In saying this, I will be trying to post a Daily Word that might include a simple Bible verse or something that I am studying.  This will help me to keep focused on what is really important and maybe it will help you as well!  I know as mom's we do not always have much quiet time to ourselves but it is important to spend time with God alone each day.

September 5th -Having the Fear of God


Our preacher spoke about having the Fear of God this past Sunday.  I wanted to just share a little of it. 
Having the Fear of God is mentioned all throughout the Bible.  Paul mentions it talking to the Corinthian Church.  He stated in 2 Cor. 7:1  Talking about the Temple of the Living God, he wanted the church to be a holy people, filled with God's presence.  He also said that we should be reverent in the presence of a Holy God. 

I think many times we go to church or go throughout our day without a healthy fear of God and his presence.  We should always have this fear in us if we are followers of Christ.  I am not talking about being scared of God but having a healthy fear of the awesome maker of our souls! 

In Prov. 1:7  it states, "Fear of the LORD is the foundation of true knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline."

In my Bible notes it explains that, "Fear of the LORD recognizes total dependence on God for everything, including knowledge and wisdom.  It is not just a mental attitude but involves service, love, and obeying God's laws.  (see Deut. 10:12-13)  Fear of the Lord is the basis of all knowledge.  How can we understand life without knowing the most fundamental truth about it-that is God's creation?"

In closing I leave with this passage from Psalms 128:1-6

Blessed are all who fear the Lord,
    who walk in obedience to him.
You will eat the fruit of your labor;
    blessings and prosperity will be yours.
Your wife will be like a fruitful vine
    within your house;
your children will be like olive shoots
    around your table.
Yes, this will be the blessing
    for the man who fears the Lord.
May the Lord bless you from Zion;
    may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem
    all the days of your life.
May you live to see your children’s children—
    peace be on Israel.
 
 


August 22nd-Music

What kind of music do you listen to?  This is not to judge anyone but I am just wanting to tell how I started listening only to Christian music and how my life has changed from just one thing. 

We have a roku box so we only get a few things at our house and Pandora is always playing in the background as I do not let little girl watch too much TV.  There are so many good Christian stations that you can find just about anything you want. 

Why would you want to do this?  As a follower of Jesus Christ we should want to saturate ourselves with praises and songs that lift up the name of Jesus.  If you actually listen to some other music it doesn't make sense and definitely doesn't lift your spirit like you think.  I used to listen to rap music and I really didn't know what they were meaning behind the words they would say.  Since I have been forgiven of my past I proceed to the future trying to grow closer in my walk and I admit it is a struggle! 

K-LOVE is a Christian radio station that I listen to in the car and you can probably find one in your area!  They have a 30-day Challenge and I encourage you to take the leap of faith and listen to it only when you are in the car or at home. 

One day we will be rejoicing in Heaven singing praises to our God and Savior!  I just think how awesome will that be?!  No more pain or suffering in this old dying world.  It will turn to ashes!  Material things do not matter it is the things above which we should put our investments into. 
This makes me think of my Grandmaw who just passed away at the old age of 93.  I hope she is in Heaven and I will see her along with my other grandparents one day!

I would love to hear your considerate thoughts!



August 4th-Come like a Child

Today we had VBS at our church we do it on a Saturday morning from 9-1 as to accommodate the small kids and workers.  Seeing all of the kids come out today was really a blessing!  I just wanted to share a little from what I saw.  The excitement on faces as they were learning songs about Jesus that some of them have probably never heard was priceless.  And Jesus tell us all that we are to come to Him like a little child.  They are so eager to learn and I admit, I wish I was more like that!  

 Matthew 18
English Standard Version (ESV)
Who Is the Greatest?

18 At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” 2 And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them 3 and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

5 “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, 6 but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin,[a] it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

Just a reminder that we need to humble ourselves and our selfish ways and turn to HIM and thank Him for what he has done!

-Miranda

July 25th Faith

On Sunday our Preacher was talking about having Faith.  I have really taken this week to focus and ask myself do I really have Faith as God talks about.  I have read this passage over and over Hebrews 11.  When we place our faith in God we are hopeful for things to come.  We are confident that God will provide for us a final place that we can be ready for!
2 Peter 3New Living Translation (NLT)The Day of the Lord Is Coming
3 This is my second letter to you, dear friends, and in both of them I have tried to stimulate your wholesome thinking and refresh your memory. 2 I want you to remember what the holy prophets said long ago and what our Lord and Savior commanded through your apostles.
3 Most importantly, I want to remind you that in the last days scoffers will come, mocking the truth and following their own desires. 4 They will say, “What happened to the promise that Jesus is coming again? From before the times of our ancestors, everything has remained the same since the world was first created.”
5 They deliberately forget that God made the heavens by the word of his command, and he brought the earth out from the water and surrounded it with water. 6 Then he used the water to destroy the ancient world with a mighty flood. 7 And by the same word, the present heavens and earth have been stored up for fire. They are being kept for the day of judgment, when ungodly people will be destroyed.
8 But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends: A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. 9 The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent. 10 But the day of the Lord will come as unexpectedly as a thief. Then the heavens will pass away with a terrible noise, and the very elements themselves will disappear in fire, and the earth and everything on it will be found to deserve judgment.[a]
11 Since everything around us is going to be destroyed like this, what holy and godly lives you should live, 12 looking forward to the day of God and hurrying it along. On that day, he will set the heavens on fire, and the elements will melt away in the flames. 13 But we are looking forward to the new heavens and new earth he has promised, a world filled with God’s righteousness.
14 And so, dear friends, while you are waiting for these things to happen, make every effort to be found living peaceful lives that are pure and blameless in his sight.
15 And remember, our Lord’s patience gives people time to be saved. This is what our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you with the wisdom God gave him— 16 speaking of these things in all of his letters. Some of his comments are hard to understand, and those who are ignorant and unstable have twisted his letters to mean something quite different, just as they do with other parts of Scripture. And this will result in their destruction.
Peter’s Final Words
17 I am warning you ahead of time, dear friends. Be on guard so that you will not be carried away by the errors of these wicked people and lose your own secure footing. 18 Rather, you must grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
All glory to him, both now and forever! Amen.
Footnotes:
3:10 Other manuscripts read will be burned up; still others read will be found destroyed. From Biblegateway.com





7/14

God's love for us

Sometimes it is so hard for me to imagine how much God loves me.  I am a sinner yet he still loves me because His son died on the cross and took away my sin.  Wrapping this in a human brain is so hard to do sometimes.  I look at my daughter and love her so much.  Just imagining how much our Heavenly Father loves us is a hard thing to do.  Especially when we "mess up" in life daily.  I found this passage as an encouraging word for me I hope you will too! :)

Ephesians 3:17-19
Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. (NLT)

If you are reading this and would like to do a guest post I would love to have you do it just send me an email :)

-Miranda

7/1

In Mark 13 the words of the Lord are clear that the return of the Lord is coming.  It scares me to think how many people are unsaved, including my family members.  All we can do is prepare ourselves for this time and love those around us and tell them the Good News of Jesus Christ!  This is hard sometimes for me especially because we are sinners only saved by God's grace.  We as humans fail so many times but God is faithful and forgives us if we repent of our sins.

I would love to hear how you find ways of getting in your quiet time each day!

I would also like to have guest post so I can learn more! If you are interested please contact me at spartanburg83 at gmail dot com!

~Miranda


7/2
“By Megan Breedlove – www.MannaForMoms.com

Spending Time Together

I have a hard time pushing everything else aside and spending time in prayer and reading my Bible each day...How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!