Sunday, November 24, 2013

Free to Give Thanks in Christ

This week is Thanksgiving and although many of us are always thankful we celebrate this time to truly give thanks for all that the Lord has blessed us with.  You can be blessed with anything and even the poor (according to this world) are truly blessed.  But, what I am going to be talking about is being thankful that we are free from death and sin if we belong to Christ Jesus!

Our pastor on Wednesday night gave the church a challenge that for just one day you would give thanks for anything that was going on that day good or bad in every situation.  Well, that day my check engine light came on and several other things happened but I had to remember what he said and really be thankful that I have a car and it normally gets me to where I need to go!


We are actually always supposed to give thanks to God.  When you sit down to a meal that is what you are doing thanking Him for provisions to eat and have clean water (which a lot of the world does not have). 

We are always to be in prayer and as Paul says in Philippians:

Philippians 4:6

New King James Version (NKJV)
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;

People have been offering thanksgiving throughout time:


Psalm 26:7
That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving, And tell of all Your wondrous works.
 
Psalm 50:14
Offer to God thanksgiving, And pay your vows to the Most High.
 
Psalm 69:30
I will praise the name of God with a song, And will magnify Him with thanksgiving.
 
These are examples of Sacrificial thanksgiving.  God really wants our hearts right and wants us to give Him thanks always.  I am always thankful for our bed at night because people who are homeless are always laid on my heart especially in the cold. 
 
When you are free in Christ you are free to give thanks.  What this means is Gods grace has covered you if you have believed that Jesus Christ died and rose again and is returning for you one day!   You can rejoice and be thankful that God sent his Son to die for us! 
 
 
I leave you with one other example...I fell this weekend and twisted my ankle pretty good!  When I went back to a waiting room I was talking with an older lady who was confined to a wheel chair.  I told her how I twisted my ankle and she so positively responded with, "Well honey at least you are blessed to be able to walk around."  It hit me and I was grateful she said that!  I was having my own little pity party and needed to be reminded that yes at least I can walk and use my legs normally!
 
 
 
Will you take the one day challenge?  For one day be thankful for every situation that the day brings! 
 

3 comments:

  1. I have been trying to be thankful lately. I have been very overwhelmed with things that have been happening- like my back going out and turning into sciatic pain. I went to the chiro and the adjustments he has been doing are killing me! The muscle pain is worse that the sciatic pain was and I am not sleeping well and dealing with a teething baby. I can't sit for more than a couple minutes. I decided moping wasn't helping matters. ;) I am thankful for the fact that I have lost 2 lbs in one week and things WILL get better soon! My house is also getting much cleaner. Ha! Just another change to lean on the Lord. I can't do it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you are going through a lot Brooke! We all need the reminder to lean on him more for sure! :)

      Delete
  2. If there's one thing I'm thankful for, it's God's blessings, grace, and mercy. I have what I have only because of God.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!