Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Cloth Diapering on the go!

I'm FINALLY getting this post written!  I'm sure you've all read about traveling with cloth diapers on other blogs but I thought I'd share my experience anyway.  My husband and I moved across the country in February and our daughter was 3 months old at the time.   We took around 10 days to make the drive because keeping miss L happy in her carseat for a long time proved to be a challenge.  Plus, we did a little sightseeing along the way.

When searching for hotels, I tried to find ones that included complementary laundry and a balcony to sun the diapers.  Who cares if the place was a dump...as long as I was able to wash the cloth diapers all was right in the world :)  Of course, things didn't always work out perfectly, but I improvised.





I found it was best to use prefolds and covers when we were on the road since they take up less space in the diaper bag.  After I changed a dirty diaper I stored the wetbag in the trunk.  I mean, who wants to smell dirty diapers for hours in the car?!  Using a pail freshener like EcoSprout or Bee Green Naturals helped keep the wetbag/pail smelling more fresh though.  I tried to be prepared and pack more diapers than I thought we would need on the road, but of course there was that one time I went through them all and we had to search for the extra diapers amongst all the other bags!  Lesson learned: always keep the extra diapers in an easy to reach spot.

My wash routine in the hotels varied a little.  I still followed the usual rinse, wash+rinse, and rinse routine.  There were times I couldn't set the machine to only rinse, so I had to run a whole wash cycle to rinse them.  Maybe I was being paranoid, but before I washed a load of diapers, I would run the machine empty with bleach to get rid of any nastiness in the washer.

I had to pay for laundry in a couple of places we stayed.  In an effort to save money I resorted to rinsing the diapers first in the bathtub.  Fun times!  Most people would call me crazy, and my mom said I should have used disposable diapers.  I just couldn't bring myself to do it!


Have you traveled with cloth?  How did it work for you?  Let us know your experience!

-Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!